Friday 4 September 2009

Sweat The Small Stuff


It's September, which means only one thing. The lull that is brought about by Summer holidays is most definitely over.

I had a lovely holiday, thanks. I read my many books whilst being the biggest (not literally) sun lizard on the beach. After unwinding with much needed chick-fodder, I moved onto grown up reads. Starting with Dear Fatty (Dawn French), Dreams From My Father (Obama), and then moving into my choices from the self help shelf - Outliers (Gladwell) and Getting Things Done (Allen).

Each book served its purpose in my search for emotionally horizontal , motivation, inspiration and mental clarity. I usually plan for the last book to be the one that energises and launches me back into work re-energised and renewed. Something that will adjust my attitude to match my obligatory physical reinvention of image when I get back to the office (natch). No other book has served its purpose like Getting Things Done. At the thought of returning to my new job, I felt completely calm at the prospect of just how much stuff needs doing. In fact I felt more calm than I ever have done about work - ever. The proof will be in the pudding of course, when in 6 months time I am still chillin out, maxin, relaxin as I leave the office on a Friday evening.

The key message for me? Sweat the small things. You see, I've always viewed myself as a big picture thinker, you know? It sounds more exciting, fun, sexy even - or is that a step too far? What I hadn't realised was that my inability to process and sweat the small stuff was seriously stifling my big picture thought process. So now I have it sussed and have started on the journey of organising my "stuff" - both big and small. I don't recommend many books but this is an absolute life changer. Trust me, I can feel it..

2 comments:

  1. Sheryl, are you sure this wasn't just another holiday romance? Sun, sand and pulp fiction can seduce a girl. Will Mr Allen change still our lives once the factor 50 has faded in the cold winter chill?

    ReplyDelete