Friday 25 September 2009

Change is Way Better Than a Rest


Is that really true? If change is better than rest, or if any change is better than bad status quo (discuss), why do people (still) avoid change?

I started a new job some weeks ago, and I have confirmed what I suspected and posted at the time. I heart change. Or at least, I love the results that change can bring about. Seeing a positive impact because of something you have done, said, or how you behave is seriously addictive. I believe its this 'making a difference' that we all crave, or at least trot out. Which, out of interest, I have been citing in job interviews for the past 20 years, near enough. So I assume it must be true (discuss). So much so, that I am also coming to realise that it probably doesn't even matter if one job or company is better than the next for me, because I feel able to change enough variables if something isn't working. Plus, the thing that really floats my boat is busting a cap in the status quo, so it is almost irrelevant what the starting point is. All that matters is that my contribution makes a positive impact in a way agreed with my employer's objectives.

I'm not saying all change is rosy. And I'm not saying I'm a robot who could work in any type of environment per se. That would be foolishly naive. And at times, I have found the degree of change, the need to assimilate new information, ways of doing things, and making sense of it all quite challenging. Perhaps there is a future post about our ability to deal with change as we get old(er).

But for me, I have confirmed that I find change and challenge totally energising. A pleasure, not a pain. A delight not a chore. Something to embrace and not to fear. After all, its inevitable, isn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment