Sunday 4 October 2009

Pierre Hardy for GAP Mania


Someone, somewhere in advertising deserves a medal. Talk about hype, viral marketing and every other mad men dream of what a successful promo campaign looks like.

I first clocked these boots in Grazia, the bible of all things fashion, roughly a couple of months ago. And I knew it then, that after a year of credit-crunch conservatism and carefully constrained card activity, these were the one investment piece that I simply had to have. These, and the Matthew Williamson parrot print and sequin maxi kaftan that were my Summer investment piece(s).

It was love at first sight. I started an affair with the boots. I knew that if I could just get my hands on them they would be the last pair of boots I would ever need. In fact, probably the last pair of footwear altogether. No, actually, scrub that last part. I definitely cant wear the boots in the Summer with the MW kaftan now, can I?

OK, so all I needed to do was procure said boots and live happily ever after. Which sounds so easy doesn't it? Except that you cant get them anywhere for love nor money - not on the internet where you can normally find anything, nor in the old-fashioned real shops where you can see, touch and try things before you buy. And forget GAPs own website for any sniff of a boot, or even any info on the release date for these beauties.

So I decided to take the very last resort. Faceless internet, corporate, contact email address "When and where can I get these boots?" And just like that, I was on the coveted waiting list. The one which apparently is littered with the fashion glitterati, the great and the good. For three whole weeks I waited tentatively for my treasure. It was like waiting for a baby to arrive. And on the due date I couldn't help ringing up for news, like an impatient, expectant relative.
"Wait your turn - they are working through the list, but you might not get exactly what you were after." No Way!!! this feels like taking candy from a baby - the cruel injustice blah blah blah..
By 5 o'clock I am now salivating over my mobile phone, which has been surgically attached to my hand all day and has accompanied me through a flurry of big-wig work meetings.
And then I get through, right at the end of the day and place my order, one in each colour - natch. I am so shallow - shallow and happy, with cool must-have boots.

1 comment:

  1. just in case you wondered - yes, they are beautiful. the last pair of boots i shall ever need!

    ReplyDelete