Monday 6 September 2010

"We're women, not ladies!"

Really?????!!!!!

I ran a half marathon on Sunday with my husband.  Actually, it wasn't quite with, because he finished 15 minutes before me.  But anyway, on the journey home, we switch on Radio 4 to hear the last 20 minutes of The Reunion.  I first caught some of this show last week, when were in London for Notting Hill Carnival.  What a lovely day that was - sun was shining, calypso and samba were playing, the police van even belted out KRS One and Shall Marshall (google it).

Last week, the topic of said show was Hurricane Katrina, with the guests a mixture of survivors, officials and an army general.  A very moving and sombre recollection of the events and media portrayal.

This week, the topic was the 1970 Miss World contest, which was famously interrupted by a Women's Lib protest.  Unfortunately, the one fact that I cannot get out of my mind is that one of the guests felt it necessary to interrupt Peter Jolley (organiser) mid-sentence, when he refers to them as "ladies", to say, "We're women, not ladies".  Hello??!!

I am not going to attempt to get into the rights and wrongs of the women's movement, or beauty parades for that matter.  I am fairly sure that I, on balance, have benefited in many ways, from what these women stood for.  But since I heard the program, and listened to it again online, all I can think about was the fact that this guest felt it necessary to undermine her whole raison d'etre, in my opinion, by making a point of protesting against the use of a word which 99% of women have absolutely no problem with.

My friends and I - all career-minded, hard-nosed, corporate-thonged types - call each other ladies all the time.  My younger brother calls me Lady as a term of respect and endearment.  In the same way at work that I will address men as guys, gentlemen or even boys.  What would she prefer? bitches and ho's?? Because I don't see the Women's Lib storming the MTV and Radio 1 studios on a regular basis.

Times have moved on, and although there may have been a time when ladies was deemed to be patronising, or assuming fragility and delicacy (how awful!), it's everyday  meaning has perhaps moved on - this happens in the English language.  When I googled to find out why it was deemed so offensive, I struggled.

Surely we need to stop fighting yesterday's battles.  Instead let's focus on figuring out how to have it all, keep it all, close the gender pay gap, prolong fertility, master the menopause, halt the emasculation of men, and stop the shards of glass falling in from the broken ceiling.  All triumphs of the Women's Lib movement.

No comments:

Post a Comment