Sunday 6 November 2011

Slow and Steady

It's a bit late but this is just a quick note to say, I did it!

The Great Birmingham Run of course, or the 'Birmingham Half marathon', pre-rebrand. And this year, although it was bigger than better I was slower than ever. At 2.15 I finished in my slowest ever half marathon time, a good 10 mintues slower than last year. The frustrating thing is I'm not really sure why, although I had done far less training than last year so that may have had something to do it.

But when all's said and done, I still finished, in a fairly respectable time, to most people. Just not for me. Once you have set your standards and your goals - a 4.30 NYC marathon next year in case you were wondering - it's quite difficult to accept anything less than progress. I did thoroughly enjoy it, even bumping into an old family friend on the way round. There is nothing better than running round familiar streets, when you are pushing your body to it's limit.

The lesson from this run? Sheryl needs to run faster (first ever third person self-reference, what is that a sign of?) I think I see the first of my 2012 resolutions already - to join a running club!

No comments:

Post a Comment