Saturday 18 July 2009

Summer Reading


I'm certain there is a snazzier title in here somewhere but I merely want to spend 10 minutes musing over just that...my Summer reading list. Actually, its my holiday list to be precise. For as much as I would love to have time in the day to curl up in a bug cosy fleece and fluffy slippers with a mug of cocoa, it just never happens. There is always something else to do.

Unless, of course, I am far away from that thing that needs doing. En vacance, I spend roughly 50% of my time reading - at the beach, by the pool, at breakfast. The OTM book is only banished in the evening, and if I am exploring wherever it is in the world I am.

I think you can see that this two week reading window of opportunity is critical to the success of the holiday as well as reminding me how to read, topping up my literary intake, stimulating my thinking and self-development, and enabling me to converse with the chattering classes (that last one was a joke), so this takes some thinking about beforehand. It cant just be thrown together, and I certainly cannot simply grab whatever is on special offer at the Waterstones at the airport.

So, what is on the list? Well, there is some logic to it. I always take a mixture of deep vs shallow, trite vs serious, fact vs fiction, corporate vs real life. Right at the very top of my list, which I will start with to help the wind down is He's just not that into you. I have already read the introductions and it is laugh out loud funny. I may follow that with Shopaholic and Baby (yes, you read right). I'll have you know I was probably one of the first to read Shopaholic (and the follow-on's) many many years ago, probably when Isla Fisher was still wearing a checkered summer dress on Home and Away. I always take a salacious biography, and I'm currently torn between Russell Brand and Dawn French. Then onto the business books that will be fortunate enough to make it into the critical collection. My rule is that they must be easy reads, with concepts and principles that relate to every day life. So in the past, Tipping Point, Funky Business and Blink have all made it onto the list. This year's choice is easy. I need to buy The Long Tail in paperback (luggage allowance-friendly) so that I can finally finish it. I will also add Chris Anderson's new book - Free. I will complete my literary summer holiday with The White Tiger, and White Teeth - a bit like watching big Oscar winners, I like to give critically acclaimed reads a try. The jokers in the pack (two of them) are The Accidental Billionaires (beginnings of facebook) and Bringing Down The House (the book behind the film 21, which I saw recently).

The very task of pulling this incredibly important list cannot be underestimated - this is essentially a years worth of reading, compressed into two precious weeks. Fab!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment