Sunday 30 May 2010

Sex and The City 2 - Curse of the sequel


I'd love to say it ain't so, but even I have to admit that this is not as good as the first film!

Isn't that the norm with second films though? Matrix, Twilight, Pirates, Die Hard, Beverly Hills Cop... ok I'm scraping the barrel here a bit.

But I think you see my point. Just because the second film is not as good as the first, nor the series, does not mean that the whole Sex and the City phenomenon is an overrated, hyped up, media-inflated, female-frenzied, shopaholic waste of time.

Not sure what went wrong with this installment - writing was a bit too try hard - cue numerous cheesy puns and play-on-word-rhyming-one-liners, plot line was really non-existent - how do you top the Big/Carrie wedding and Miranda/Steve infidelity?? Suffice to say there were still cheers, clapping and laughter when I went to see it in Birmingham on Friday, although a few people did leave the VIP screening early - and that's saying something!

I am still a huge fan. My sister and I left the cinema debating whether women should or shouldn't wear a burka, which still proves that, like it or not, good film or not, SATC gets under the skin of issues that women relate to. I for one am looking forward to my second viewing this Saturday night. Well, I've got to be sure, haven't I? Plus, there'll be cocktails there... again!

No comments:

Post a Comment